photo HunterBelessBlog_nav_contact_zps2e50e33a.png photo HunterBelessBlog_soc_fb_zpsaf47f25d.png photo HunterBelessBlog_soc_pinterest_zps5d04c900.png photo HunterBelessBlog_soc_instagram_zpsebd3486e.png photo HunterBelessBlog_soc_twitter_zpsf05fe971.png

Monday, April 22, 2013

21 Day Sugar Detox Recap


Recap! The past 21 days were my second time to participate in the Sugar Detox by Balanced Bites. For those of you that have no idea what I'm referencing, simply put, the goal of the detox is to regulate blood sugar

Why? Well, there is a ton of research out there to supplement the fact that there are major health implications from the amount of sugar we intake. Lots of the sugar we consume is driven by cravings, due to fluctuating blood sugar... aka: riding the insulin roller coaster. Enter: the importance of regulating your blood sugar, so you're not eating sugary-rich carbohydrates to pick yourself up after your blood sugar has plummeted. I really want to encourage you to look into it for yourself. If you're having trouble finding sources you might want to start herehere, or here. Or invest in the 21DSD PDF and read all of the incredibly helpful information Diane Sanfillippo has put together! 


Like I said, this was my second time to participate in this detox. Prior to my first go-round I ate pretty well, but I hadn't taken the plunge to eliminate all gluten and legumes. After detox number one I felt much better and I was able to detect certain foods that don't sit well with me, like peanuts and beans. In addition, I had the preconceived notion that most "clean" recipes required obscure ingredients that cost an arm and a leg. But after cooking sugar-free, gluten-free meals for 21 days I realized that eating clean could happen affordably with a little bit of effort. Oh, and the meals were delicious! Since that time I read "It Starts with Food," by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig [recommended] and started doing lots of my own nutritional research. I was sold on striving to prepare good, real food, for husband + me, using meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, healthy oils, nuts and seeds. For simplicity's sake, I will call this Paleo. [Check out the link if you're thinking what the heck is Paleo?]

That bit of background catches us up to where I was at pre-detox this go-round. I was eating "Paleo" while indulging in some Paleolithic sweets, like ice cream & sweet potato brownies. I say indulging because it was exactly that, since last month was my birthday month. I also had a bit of a love affair with nut butters, specifically sunflower seed butter. To be honest, I felt pretty good before detoxing, but I knew I needed to regain a little moderation in my life.

The special thing about doing the detox this time was the fact that I had 17 incredible women doing it alongside me. When I made the decision to detox again I posted a photo on Instagram and Facebook asking if anyone wanted to participate. We formed an accountability group via email and we've been sharing our experiences, recipes, research and advice with one another for the past three weeks! I continue to learn more about the power of doing life together, even when you're separate in proximity. These women served as an invaluable source of accountability for me throughout the duration of the detox and I'm really going to miss our email chain! I would have cheated much more than I did if it weren't for their encouragement! 

Speaking of cheats, I had my fair share of them. Check them out: 
[Note: you might need to familiarize yourself with the detox regulations in order to find this information helpful]
-A green apple and a banana on the same day. That happened as I was incorporating the banana in a coconut milk smoothie or making the banana/cocoa/avocado pudding. (3x)
-Balsamic vinaigrette that probably had sugar [restaurants]. (2x)
-Cashews in moderation throughout the entire detox. (1,000x... jk!)
-A few pieces of some kind of fried onion in a spinach salad I ordered at Panera. [ordering fail!]

Now, on the last day of the detox, I feel excellent. In all honesty, I cannot remember the last time I had a sugar craving. I slept like a rock throughout the detox and my digestive function has been top notch. Whoop! Mission accomplished. As a final recap, I know from my experience and personal research that eating sugary-rich carbs, though they look delicious and taste good, will not make me feel better. I have very little desire to indulge after getting off the detox. However, I am looking forward to incorporating berries, red apples, other fruits and the occasional Paleo dessert back into my personal nutrition, in moderation of course. 

If you're interested in detoxing, check out the Balanced Bites facebook page. You'll find others starting the detox pretty frequently + other helpful information. 


17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience! I am on day 11 of the detox and and feeling many of the benefits already... I was happy to read that though you had a couple minor "cheats" (I have had a few similar ones) that you made it to the three weeks and feel "excellent!" That's encouraging. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go! I know you will be so pleased with the results of the detox when you're through! I remember eating a honey crisp apple and thinking, "This is too sweet!" You'll have to drop by and let me know how things turn out!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I found your blog! I am a Christian as well! :) I am on day 5 of the detox, and I'm already feeling so much better. I can't wait to see how much better I feel on the last day, and I'm praying that I'll continue with healthy eating forever. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie! The first time I did the 21 DSD was really a jump start for me nutritionally. I was able to see that I really could eat whole, unprocessed foods and that my budget + body would not only survive, but thrive! Okay, maybe not the budget so much, but it's doable! ;) Let me know how the detox turns out! Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. What about regular unsweetened tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Crystal! Are you starting the detox soon, or have you already began? Tea isn't on the yes/no foods list. If I were you, I would pop over to the Balanced Bites Facebook page (linked above) and ask Diane your question. She's really great about getting back to people! If she doesn't respond, I would say make sure that the tea you drink isn't sweet tasting and doesn't have any weird ingredients! Other than that I don't see why not, but she might have a different answer for you!

      Delete
    2. I started today, the tea I drink is from tea bags so I don't think there is any weird things in it. I will ask Diane though just to make sure. Thanks for your help!

      Delete
    3. Sure thing! Just make sure to check the ingredients label on the box. You'd be surprised what weird things they stick in those little bags sometimes! Best wishes!

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm Diana and i represent The Farm at San Benito - as one of the few recognized fully integrated medical resorts in the world, that offers healthy living retreats, detoxing, cleansing and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great article and the information regarding sugar detox is spot on! I just finished the 3 Day Military diet and was able to lose around 5 pounds in the process. It was very helpful to me since no sugar was allowed during the duration of the diet. In addition, the meals were low-carb and I was able to practice portion control and calorie counting. The only sweetener allowed by the way was plant-based Stevia. Here's a link to a good resource page that you can look at http://3daysmilitarydiet.com/faq/military-diet-sweetener.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will get several detox programs in your area listed with just one click. Some treatment centers have their own websites where you can find the detox centers listed.
    acaiplus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having Problems FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to munch on healthy delicious recipes as soon as TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ! Very Impressed should certainly pronounce, impressed with your site.emergency detox

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the event that you are in this gathering, a detox program would most likely be fruitful. It is those that have been eating an undesirable eating routine for quite a while that must change the framework. how to choose drug detox and rehab for a loved one

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gives your digestive system a break by allowing it to digest the food easier.  Best 3 day detox cleanse

    ReplyDelete